We know there are a multitude of benefits that come from eating a healthy diet, but does it include keeping us looking young? If you explore this topic on the internet you will be bombarded with foods that you should eat to look young. But is there any science to back this up?
- Vegetables contain antioxidants which protect against the breakdown of collagen (for e.g. lycopene in tomatoes)
- Vitamin C aids in collagen synthesis which improves skin elasticity (e.g. peppers)
- Carotenoids help protect against the harmful effect of UV rays (e.g. carrots and sweet potatoes)
- Vitamin K helps prevent shadows under the eyes (e.g. kale)
- Sulforaphane protects against the aging process (e.g. cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage)