How to manage the Easter treat craze??!! Is that even possible?

Are you tempted by the Easter treats on display?  They are everywhere! It’s no wonder many people’s willpower is wearing thin.  How do you decide what to have, how much to have or whether it’s even ok to have something?

Let’s take a look at sugar to start with.  Refined sugar, or table sugar, in small amounts is not ‘bad’ for you.  But sugar is a little more complicated than that because all carbohydrate foods (including fruits, milk, yoghurt (even double thick), legumes, starchy veg, starches, breads, crackers, cereals and treats) convert to sugar.  The reason why we should not choose the refined form of sugar often and in large quantities is because it does not give us any good nutrition (vitamins, minerals, fibre etc.) and it can upset blood sugar control.  (Just as an aside, many other foods that convert into sugar are healthy as they contain good nutrition but they do need to be eaten in controlled portions)

For refined sugar the general guideline is not to have more than 4-6 teaspoons per day.  That’s easy to calculate when using table sugar, honey, syrup, jam etc. but what about treats such as a marshmallow egg or an Easter bunny?  There are 2 guidelines to consider:

  • Check the ingredient list to see where sugar is on the list.  If it is in the first 3 ingredients then it should be considered a food you don’t eat on a daily basis.
  • Grams of sugar.  The number to remember is 4g of sugar.  4g of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar.  Look at the ‘of which sugar’ component of the carbohydrates, and calculate how many teaspoons of sugar you are eating.  For example, one marshmallow Easter egg has 7.1g sugar, so you’ll be having about 2 teaspoons of sugar. 

* Note that if the first ingredients are milk or fruit then the ‘of which sugars’ will be natural lactose or fructose, and does not need to be counted into your 4-6 teaspoons of sugar per day

And one of the most important things to remember – DON’T GO SHOPPING HUNGRY!  We all know that unhealthy foods land in our baskets, especially when there are large displays of them.

If you do want a sweet fix have chocolate with a healthy dose of fruit.  Dip whole strawberries, grapes, or banana slices in melted chocolate (melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between spurts, until smooth; or use a double boiler).  If you want less chocolate, drizzle the melted chocolate over the fruit with the teeth of a fork.  Also delicious is some added nuts (any nuts work).  Roll the fruit in chopped nuts before dipping it in chocolate.

Have a happy, healthy Easter.

Office - (021) 674 4666
Cell - 084 206 2715
E-mail -


This is the time of year when the schools start urging grade 9s to select their subjects for grades 10-12.  It is important that this does not become confused with career choice, but it often does.  Your grade 9 is not yet mature enough to make long term career choices.  So, what are the principles upon which one chooses subjects?

1. Keep as many options open as possible.  This often means choosing Science but, if your child is weak in Maths, he is unlikely to manage  grades 11 and 12 Science and is unlikely to want to use it in a career as tertiary study in the sciences would then be very difficult for him.  Remember, too, that an interest in Commerce does not mean that one has to take business-orientated subjects like Accounting and Economics for matric. One just needs very good Maths.

2.  If possible, take a science subject.  If not Physical Science then Life Science.  Many doors are closed if one has neither of the natural sciences for matric.

3. Take a subject just because one likes it.  Not every subject has to have some great long term career value.  Everyone needs to have a subject where they find pleasure.  School is not just about "training" it is about a broad-based education.  A subject like art, design, consumer studies, history,  tourism, or EGD does not have to translate into a career path.  It can be a source of pleasure and personal enrichment .

4.  Remember the points.  The tertiary institutions set a benchmark aggregate to gain entrance.  Encourage your child to include a subject where he has enough interest and ability to do well and thus to raise his aggregate.  Subjects that are not on the designated list can happily be included ( eg tourism , CAT, hospitality ) and provided that he still has the required number from the designated list, will not hamper his getting a degree pass.  In addition, by raising his aggregate it could help him to get into university or university of technology .

Remember, too, that there are allocated dates given to the schools by which learners can change a subject.  If, but the end of grade 10, your child is battling with a subject or really doesn't enjoy it, he can change to something else provided that he does not choose a subject that would have required its foundation in grade 10.  Eg He could start Geography in grade 11 without redoing grade 10 work, but could not pick up Accounting without studying what he had missed in grade 10.  The schools would advise him on this matter.

I wish you well as you work through these pointers with your child.

Telephone: Office 0216716057.  Cell 0824562355


Dear Residents


Win a R5 000 alarm system or upgrade courtesy of ADT Security!

If you have an existing alarm with ADT, you can use the R5 000 for upgrades or if you don't have a system, you can use the R5 000 to install a new security system at your property.

The winner must be an ADT client or sign a new service agreement with ADT Security if not an active client.

Competition entry forms will be available at the HVCID stall on the day of the carnival which is Saturday, 2 April 2016 in Second Avenue.

  • A specialised camera system designed for capturing & recognising vehicle registration numbers.
  • Once vehicle registration is captured, software uses a central database to determine if the vehicle is wanted in relation to crime in greater Cape Town.
  • The above is a pro-active system that happens in real time.
  • Each camera point is monitored by two cameras. A LPR camera and an overview camera.
  • The overview camera will allow the controller to view the complete vehicle and surrounding area. This is mostly used during investigations and is therefore a reactive part of the system.
  • The placement of the cameras will ideally be based on advice received from SAPS.
  • The LPR system is currently being used in many areas in the Cape, including Constantia, Tokai, Gardens, Fish Hoek, Tamboerskloof, Camps Bay, and Greater Durbanville.
ADT has offered to supply and install two LPR cameras in the Village if we can get 60 new people to sign up for the R399 option. These cameras are expensive and we should seize the opportunity to benefit from the support of a big company like ADT. Please spread the word and encourage your neighbours and friends in the Village to sign up here or email us for a form.

Of course Villagers can also still sign up for the R199 street patrol option. Both this and any R399 sign ups count towards our longer term goal of an additional patrol vehicle and funding.

Prevention of housebreakings
  • Keep all emergency numbers in your cell phone or at hand.
  • Keep keys in a safe place and never leave them in doors or gates
  • Ensure your burglar alarm is set when leaving home.
  • Ensure your alarm codes are kept confidential and are not accessible to outside parties.
  • When away from home for a lengthy period ensure your mail box is emptied and if possible have a neighbour to keep a regular eye on your property.
  • Advise your private security company when you are away with contact numbers and key holder details.
  • Before employing workers at your home conduct thorough background checks. Take a copy of their ID document and do a security clearance at the SAPS
  • Ensure you have either alarm beams or good outside lighting installed.
  • Ensure your sliding gate has an anti-lift device.
  • Ensure your sliding gate motor has a metal guard to prevent being removed.
  • Ensure your sliding gate motor has a metal guard to prevent disengaging the motor. 
Remember 70% of all housebreakings can be linked to inside information from staff, contractors, and other persons with knowledge of house contents and whether the premises is occupied. The vast majority of housebreakings occur during the day when the premises are unoccupied.

Domestic Employees
Statistically a high percentage of residential housebreakings can be sourced back to information being fed to criminal elements knowingly or unknowingly from domestic employees.

These include full or part time domestic employees and gardeners, or outside sourced window cleaners, tree trimmers, garden services, painters, builders, etc.

Employers should be aware any access to house keys, alarm codes, safe contents, etc., increases the risk of housebreakings.

It is essential pre and post-employment checks are conducted particularly on directly employed domestic employees.

Pre-employment screening:
  • Reference check on previous employment
  • Criminal background check
Post-employment checks:
  • Keep a copy of the employees ID book on record.
  • Keep a record of the employees address and other contact details on file.
  • Keep a list of the employee’s relatives and their contact details on file.
  • Have a regular annual review of the employee and update details listed above.
High risk indicators:
  • The employee has a criminal record.
  • The employee is unhappy in their job or has had a disagreement.
  • The employee is in financial difficulties and is trying to borrow money.
Harfield Village Community Improvement District (HVCID)
 +27 (0)81 412 6109

Puppy selling on our streets is a crime!

This article is not only informatory, but it is also an appeal to all residents to assist us with this issue, by using the guidelines below.

Driving home, I pass a seemingly homeless man holding a very small puppy in his arms. I immediately can see that the puppy looks dehydrated and sickly.

I stop my vehicle and the homeless man approaches me. ‘R200 to buy this dog’, he says. I whip out my purse and give him the money in order to rescue the puppy.


Firstly, it is important to know that these puppies are very often stolen/taken away from their mothers far too early. Most are 5 weeks or younger when they are sent to the streets to be sold. 
This is animal cruelty.

Animal cruelty is a crime is South Africa. Section 51 of 1977 of the Criminal Procedure Act dictates the sentencing.

Where do these puppies come from?

These puppies are very often stolen, or bred in the worst kinds of conditions.
When questioned; one homeless man admitted that his sister has many dogs and they breed them all the time to make money. The bitches are not given a period to rest between litters. Their injections are not up to date. They are malnourished and left outside in all weather conditions.

So regardless of whether or not the puppy was stolen or is bred for this activity, we need to form a united front BY NOT ENCOURAGING THIS BEHAVIOUR!

Here are a few ways how you can help:

1. Steal the puppy (if you are brave enough; please don’t put your personal safety at risk.)
* By stealing the puppy, the man does not get money, and therefore is discouraged from coming back into the area.

2. Call your security/armed response provider to facilitate the process
* i.e. Please assist with the puppy seller on the corner of Rosmead and Hampstead Road
* The response officer can confiscate the puppy, and give the man a stern warning

3. Put it on your neighbourhood Whatsapp Groups
* There is strength in numbers
* The man will now know that the whole community will NOT accept this behavior
What do you do with the stolen/confiscated puppy?

Most vets in the area, particularly The Cape Animal Medical Clinic on Rosmead Avenue (24 hours), are more willing to take the puppy in, to find a home for them, if they are stolen AND not paid for!

SAPS is on board with us and as law enforcement officers, we are all mandated to take care not only of people, but also of our little furry friends!

Note that there is also a telephone number for the Puppy Seller Police, who will send someone to confiscate the puppies. 
Their response times have been mostly excellent, but of course it depends on how busy they are, or where they are at the time of the call. 
Ideally the complainant should stay with the puppy seller until the Puppy Police arrive - I would recommend doing so without alerting them to the fact that the police are on the way - play with the pups, ask questions etc.

The numbers are: 021 - 761 5071, or 021 - 596 1999.

It’s also important (once the police or armed response are there) to take photographs of the puppy seller and their ID with your cell phone. And note, if at all possible, their cell phone number and address. This information is then passed onto the SPCA to help retrieve the breeding bitches etc.



1 bunch Kale
1 Teaspoon sea salt
⅓ cup sweet glazed walnuts (Dry toast in a pan then add 2Tablespoons maple syrup at the end of the toasting)
¼ cup diced red onion
⅓ cup dried cranberries
1 orange, sectioned and cut into bite sized pieces
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar

De- stem Kale by pulling leaf away from the stem. Wash leaves.
Spin or pat dry.
Stack leaves, rollup and cut into thin ribbons ( chiffonade)
Put Kale in a large mixing bowl, add salt and massage salt into the Kale with your hands
for 2 minutes.
To toast nuts, put a dry skillet over a low to medium heat and stir constantly for a few minutes until they change colour and give off a nutty aroma. Add syrup.
Put Kale in a fresh bowl and discard any leftover liquid.
Stir onions, cranberries, orange and toasted nuts into Kale.
Dress with olive oil and vinegar and toss.
Season to taste if necessary.

"I have been an agent for over 30 years and have an excellent track record in the Southern Suburbs area. I am professional, love what I do and put my heart and soul into every aspect of my work."
Lyn Staples
Estate Agent
Cell: +27 (0)82 846 0739    |   Office: +27 (0)21 674 1120     |    Fax: +27 (0)21 774 4927
Focus Areas:  Kenilworth & Claremont Village 


Last month we looked at some of the common benign tumours that can occur in your dogs skin. This month we are going to find out about the most common ... (See last month's article here)



This is one of the most common tumours found in the dog. Mast cells are special cells that are found throughout the body. They are responsible for the release of various active chemicals that help the body’s immune system respond to allergies and inflammation. When a mast cell becomes cancerous it releases excessive amounts of these chemicals causing damage to the tissues. The damage caused can result in gastric ulcers, internal bleeding as well as allergic reactions.

These tumours can occur anywhere on the body including the internal organs but are commonly found on the limbs, abdomen and chest. Some breeds such as Boxers, Pugs, Staffies and Ridgebacks are more susceptible to developing these tumours. 

The external appearance of the tumour can vary widely and biopsy is the only way to differentiate between the various types of this tumour. Surgical excision is usually the treatment of choice of depending on the type and grade of the tumour and how or if it has spread.


These tumours occur in the pigmented cells called melanocytes.

Only a small percentage of benign melanoma’s are found in the pigmented skin in areas that are covered with hair, most malignant melanomas are found in the mouth, mucous membranes, digit’s and scrotum area.

These are aggressive tumours that grow quickly and are very likely to spread to lymph nodes and internal organs such as the lungs and liver.

The incidence of malignant melanoma in certain breeds once again plays a role in the occurrence of this tumour.

Melanoma should be treated as soon as possible. Radical surgical removal of the tumour and surrounding tissue is absolutely necessary, in some cases this may result in amputation or removal of part of the jaw depending on the extent of the infiltration of the tumour.


This is a common skin cancer, which is often caused by excessive exposure to the sun. Dogs with very short coats ( and cats with white ears!) and light skin such as Bull Terriers, Dalmatians and Schnauzers are more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma. Although this tumour is unlikely to spread to lymph nodes it is aggressive in its destruction of surrounding tissue.

Surgical removal is the treatment of choice if the tumour is situated in an operable place.

If you find a lump of any kind on your dog (or cat) seek veterinary advice. It is impossible for your veterinarian to make any diagnosis from an email or a picture on a clients cell phone of various lumps and bumps! However, in consultation your vet can examine your pet thoroughly, do a needle aspirate if necessary and upon these findings can advise you as to the correct method of treatment.

Chemotherapy and radiation therapy is available but it is debatable as to the efficacy of these treatments and the long-term benefits to your pet. All options can be discussed with your vet if you have concerns.

Anne Makin - Pactice Manager
Kenilworth Veterinary Hospital
47 Kenilworth Road, Kenilworth, 7708
Tel: 021 6715018
Fax: 021 6715019

Patchwork | March in the Garden - Call To Grow/Donate Seedlings to the Harfield Village Carnival

Hello Harfielders!
Heading into Autumn, March isn't a big planting month, but for those interested in getting some seedlings going and ready for Winter as the temperatures are still quite warm, go right ahead! 
A top tip: Water your seedlings with a spray bottle rather than a hosepipe, trying to keep them moist to assist with germination, and keep them out of constant direct sunlight. Here's the March plant list:
Beetroot, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Calendula, Carrot, Chard, Celery, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Chilli, Kale, Kohlrabi, Globe artichoke, Leaf mustard, Lettuce, Onion, Parsnip, Parsley, Peas, Potato, Radish, Rhubarb, Turnip
I am putting out a sincere request for anyone who has some spare seedling trays and seeds to start growing some seedlings to donate to the HVA carnival this year, as all proceeds will go to Friends of Harfiled Village Parks. 

Please get in touch with me if you can do this through the Patchwork Facebook page.

Patchwork Group
Gabriella Garnett



In many ways, sectional title ownership is more complex than conventional title ownership. This is because, when a purchaser buys into a sectional title scheme, he becomes part of a closed community which is governed by particular legislation (the Sectional Titles Act) and rules that aim to balance the interests of all the owners in the scheme. Common law rules relating to neighbour law are also applicable.

For example, where an owner is desirous of extending his unit, be it by way of extending into the small hallway adjacent to his apartment or by enclosing the balcony, it generally impacts on the balance of rights of all owners in the scheme and involves more red tape than is often appreciated.

How does it work?

Any alteration that increases a unit's boundaries or floor area is considered an 'extension', in which event the Sectional Titles Act prescribes the following steps:

Step 1

Obtain the body corporate's consent by way of passing a special resolution. For this purpose, the trustees must be approached to call a special general meeting, on 30 days' notice, at which meeting the proposed extension can be considered and approved by passing a special resolution.
To pass a special resolution at a meeting, it is required that:

  • notice of the meeting, specifying the proposed resolution, must be sent to all persons entitled to attend general meetings, giving at least 30 days notice (unless the trustees have decided that shorter notice is appropriate); 
  • at the meeting a quorum of persons entitled to vote must be present or represented; and 
  • of those present or represented and entitled to vote, 75% in number (by show of hands) and in value must vote in favour of the resolution.

It is otherwise also possible to obtain a special resolution by having three quarters of the owners (in number and value) sign a "round robin" resolution.

Step 2

The owner must then have building plans prepared and submitted to the local authority for authorisation and building can commence thereafter. As soon as the building works are completed to the point that they can be measured, the owner must instruct a land surveyor or architect to draw up a draft sectional plan of extension and submit this plan to the Surveyor General (SG) for approval. (A sectional plan is different from a building or site plan. By law, it must indicate the dimensions of the section, ie the length, width and height of a section. This is why it can only be drawn up once the building works have neared completion. The boundaries of a section and the owner's ownership are accordingly clearly delineated on such a plan.)

Step 3

Once the SG has approved this plan, the owner must instruct a conveyancer to register the amended sectional title plan in the Deeds Office. At the same time, the change in the unit's extent will be noted against the owner's title deed in the deeds office records. If a bank holds a mortgage bond over the section, the bank's consent must also be submitted.

Step 4

A further administrative issue that may arise is where the planned extension will change the unit's shareholding in the common property by more than 10%. (The shareholding is determined by the section's floor area in relation to the floor area of all the sections in the scheme). If so, the conveyancer must obtain the consent of each bondholder holding bonds over units in the scheme. This is understandably a huge task in large schemes!

For assistance in this process, contact Martin Sheard at or on or telephonically at 021 673 4700.