Unfortunately the spate of burglaries and other criminal incidents in the Village and surrounding suburbs continue.
Mostly these crimes are being committed by people entering the area in stolen vehicles. Homes are broken into and the criminals grab any items of value and then make a getaway before armed response arrives, which normally takes about 3 or 4 minutes once the alarm has been raised.
It is very difficult to combat this type of crime but getting into the habit of being very aware of your surroundings and making use of these security tips will help:
- Always make sure security gates are locked, even if you are going to be out of the house for a short time.
- Lock inter leading doors where possible.
- Never leave handbags, wallets, cell phones, laptops, keys, or jewellery boxes near a window or on a table near external doors.
- When you leave the house, always close the curtains as this makes it impossible for criminals to know what is in a room to steal.
- Be careful with the information that you share with domestic workers and contractors regarding your security arrangements like alarm codes or key hiding places.
HNW in conjunction with private security companies and SAPS assist with the prevention of crime in our area. They have grown in the last 10 months from 14 active patrollers to the present 42, which includes 6 new recruits. Their patrollers pay for their own fuel, vehicle maintenance, torch batteries etc., while HNW provides essential vehicle decals, vests, ID cards and most importantly the radios. They rely on donations to provide these essential items and right now are in need of assistance from the community to provide additional radios to the new recruits. Even a small amount will help towards getting another patroller mobile and another pair of eyes and ears on the road.
If you would like to make a donation, sponsor some equipment or volunteer to sign up as a patroller, please contact Derek on 071 802 2454 or firstname.lastname@example.org