- Make sure your alarm is in working order by testing it. Advise the control room beforehand. Testing should be done outside of peak hours (between 8am and 4pm, or after 8pm).
- Advise your security company if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding nearby key holders, in case of an emergency.
- Ensure key holders have keys, alarm code, and password.
- Inform your neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property.
- Be discreet about going away. Park cars behind a gate or in a garage if possible. Don’t leave a message on your answering machine saying that you are away, or advertise it on social media.
- Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. A bulging post box is a dead giveaway that you are not at home.
- If hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly.
- Before going away, spray indoor motion sensors with bug spray to reduce the risk of insects setting off your alarm.
- Never leave a key in the inside of an outer door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock.
- Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically.
- Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer.
- Do not leave tools like ladders or spades outside, as they can be used to break into your house
- Clear signage indicating that you have security also helps to discourage burglars.
HVCID - November
The festive season is fast approaching and many of you will be rushing to finish your working year and head off on your holiday. Please take the time, however, to make sure that your house and belongings are safe while you are away by following the security tips below:
firstname.lastname@example.org +27 (0)81 412 6109