- "What is Chiropractic?"
- "Do Chiropractors only treat the spine?"
- "Is Chiropractic safe?"
What is Chiropractic?
How does the Chiropractic adjustment work?
Chiropractors are highly skilled at assessing the vertebral joints in the spine in terms of mobility and function. Individual vertebral joints that are not functioning normally may irritate the spinal nerve that exits their 'intervertebral foramen'/opening. This irritation may affect the related nervous supply and result in back pain, neck pain and other problems in the body. The Chiropractor aims to identify and manipulate or adjust the dysfunctional joint, and thus, restore natural balance, mobility and function to the body.
• Pregnant women- Chiropractic can make delivery easier and decrease back pain during and after the pregnancy
• Office workers- Today's world requires us to sit in unnatural positions, with minimal movement or activity for extended periods of time. This results in poor postural habits, neck/back pain and other issues.
• Elderly- After years of wear and tear, the elderly can be susceptible to spinal issues.
• Athletes- Athletes place large amounts of stress on their bodies in order to perform at their peak and push themselves to the limit. It is important to maintain optimal health and prevent conditions from developing later in life.
• Neck pain
• Low back pain
• Headaches and migraines
• Shoulder pain
• Arm pain (elbow pain and tingling in the hands)
• Hip pain
• Leg pain
• Knee pain
• Foot pain
What causes neuromuscularskeletal conditions?
Strains, falls, accidents, lifting heavy objects and stress are some examples that may cause a joint to become fixated. A fixated joint has compensatory effects on other joints in the body and causes irritation to their surrounding musculature. This often results in muscle spasms, the development of 'trigger-points' and nervous changes, such as increased sensitivity.
1. Are Chiropractors opposed to medical treatment?
No, Chiropractors recognize that often, medical/surgical intervention is the only appropriate treatment option and are qualified to refer when necessary.
A joint in the body naturally has a functional negative pressure system. During the Chiropractic manipulation, an audible 'pop' may be heard. This is gas/fluid shifting inside the joint and does not relate to the quality of the manipulation.
Yes, most medical aid plans cover Chiropractic care.
Yes, Chiropractic has been covered by 'Compensation for Occupational Injury and Disease' since 1994. Any treatment received from a Chiropractor, with or with-out referral and including X-rays, may be reimbursed by COIDS.
All medical interventions involve potential risks and side-effects, Chiropractic is not excluded. However, it is important to know that you have a far greater chance of being struck by lightning than suffering from a complication of a spinal manipulation (1>1000 000).
Our Chiropractors are highly skilled at assessing and treating neuromuscularskeletal conditions and specialize in the biomechanical integrity of the vertebral joints of the spine.
We provide evidence based treatment related to neck/back pain, sports and repetitive strain injuries, chronic headaches, pregnancy-related back pain, post-surgical rehabilitation, pediatrics, geriatrics and worker's compensation.
Our practitioners place emphasis on ensuring that our knowledge and treatment methods are up-to-date with the current literature and make use of the latest, evidence-based treatment modalities in order to optimize your recovery and health.
Our practices are conveniently located on the Atlantic Seaboard, Sea Point and in the heart of the Southern Suburbs, Claremont.
Chat to one of our friendly receptionists to make a booking or follow the link to learn more about our services: