- Make sure your alarm is in working order by testing it. Advise the control room beforehand. Testing should be done outside of peak hours (between 8am and 4pm, or after 8pm).
- Advise your security company if you are going away and ensure that you supply all the necessary information regarding nearby key holders, in case of an emergency.
- Ensure key holders have keys, alarm code, and password.
- Consider giving your security company access to your property by using a lock box or electronic keypad.
- Inform your neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property.
- Be discreet about going away. Park cars behind a gate or in a garage if possible. Don’t leave a message on your answering machine saying that you are away, or advertise it on social media.
- Stop all newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. A bulging post box is a dead giveaway that you are not at home.
- If hiring a house sitter, ensure that you teach them how to use your alarm correctly.
- Before going away, spray indoor motion sensors with bug spray to reduce the risk of insects setting off your alarm.
- Never leave a key in the inside of an outer door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock.
- Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically.
- Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer.
- Do not leave tools like ladders or spades outside, as they can be used to break into your house.
- Do not leave your dustbin outside your premises during the holidays. It advertises that you are away and can be used to access your property. (Ask a neighbour or a friend to put it out on collection day.)
- Clear signage indicating that you have security also helps to discourage burglars.
SECURITY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON
SECURITY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON:
We wish the residents of Harfield Village a very happy and peaceful festive season.
Manager - Harfield Village Community Improvement District (HVCID)
Cel: 081 412 6109 E-mail: email@example.com