We unfortunately had an incident of attempted hijacking in the Village recently. Luckily the resident was not harmed and the suspects were disturbed before they were able to steal the vehicle. There are some basic security tips which you can follow to lessen your risk of being a hijacking victim:
- 2km from your house strategy. Be extra alert. Switch off the car radio and concentrate on your surroundings.
- Remember to stop your vehicle just on the inside of the gate and select reverse whilst waiting for the gate to close. This creates confusion and may buy you a few seconds for the gate to close completely behind you.
- Check your driveway and street before you leave or enter your premises.
- Make sure your driveway is well lit and clear from shrubbery where perpetrators can hide.
- Be aware of unknown pedestrians close to your residential address – if there are, do not turn into your driveway – pass and go back later.